Skip to main content

Serenity Now

"Serenity Now" - how many people remember that phrase from Seinfeld?  

This time of year, teachers in many places are wrapped up and embroiled in report card time.  It is such a stressful time of year for educators as they work to gather anecdotals, behavioural comments, and think about students and their achievements or struggles academically.  Some schools are graced with the simplicity of a small comment or no comments, and others are tasked with writing a paragraph, or even being inauthentic because they have to use a comment BANK!  No matter how big or how small, the stress of getting comments done is to some people, unbearable.

SERENITY NOW


Take a moment to pour yourself a hot cup of tea, or if you are at home, a soothing glass of wine.  Sit down, put your feet up and breathe.  It will all be alright. Don't let it overcome you.  Your mental health and wellness isn't worth it.  Take time for you and do what you need to do to be balanced and in check.  

Get proper sleep, eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, and exercise.  Strong body, strong mind.  After report cards, when interviews with parents begin, you will be ready. 

SERENITY NOW
#BeWellEDU


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathe

My daughter recently took part in a poetry workshop at school.  Once it was over, her assignment for class was to write a poem and then deliver it in a spoken word performance to her class.  If chosen, she would then compete against the other top poems from the other 5 classes in her grade.  What she wrote and performed was so intensely personal.  I was blown away by her courage to share, but more so by the profound words, technique and delivery of the poem itself (the English teacher in me!). She was extremely self-conscious about sharing with others in her school about her experience with anxiety, but I told her that she was likely helping others by sharing about what she has dealt with.  A friend of mine, who is a teacher at her school commented on how she impacted other students with her words.  My friend shared that at school she appears to be such a confident, composed and self-assured young lady, so in sharing her story and poetry, my friend overh...

Take a Moment

February 27, 2010 my life changed.  I lost my dad to his battle with cancer, and he was only 52. My daughter Ava and my dad, summer 2009. Today is ten years since he died, and I have to say, it is a very tough day.  I didn't expect it to be so difficult, but I am struggling today.  Grief can consume, and it is a sneaky thing too, as you don't realize it's going to get you until it does.  I am constantly on the verge of tears, my every thought is consumed with memories of him - both good and sad ones.  How is it that TEN years has gone by so quickly? I was having a conversation with one of my Google Innovator mentees today, and he was saying how his life was so busy this past month and his Innovator project has somehow paused for a few weeks.  He was still motivated and enthusiastic about it, and best of all - he didn't feel any guilt about having hit the pause button.  My mentee's project is focussed around teacher self-care and wellness, and he...

It's Been a While... Hello Again

 Hi friends, Today a colleague (I am at a new school in a new role - big, big update and a lot to catch up on, perhaps another post for this) was talking about her book club she runs on the book Teacher Take Care .  I admire the work this colleague does on trying to instill wellness and mindfulness amongst staff.  In our conversation, I was reminded of this blog - something I have neglected for a LONG time.  I jumped back in and re-read some posts and shared the "Boundaries" post with my colleague, as it aligned with her mission.  She will now be sharing it with the cohort of readers she is working with. Reading some of my old posts and being reminded of the work I have done on here made me want to get back in and blog again.  Is blogging still a thing or have we all moved on to TikTok?   I am still working on being my best self, and a little insight into my new job - as I coach new staff at our school and new teachers, I share with them my little...