Skip to main content

We Are Longing for Stories

Last night I was watching the Oscars with my family - a tradition we have.  We like to fill in our own ballots and then wager a bet on who will have the most correct winners on their ballot. 

As I watched Rami Malek win for Bohemian Rhapsody - a movie I truly enjoyed - I was fascinated with his acceptance speech, and something in it struck me.  He said:

"I think about what it would have been like to tell little bubba Rami that one day this might happen to him and I think his curly-haired little mind would be blown," he said. "He was struggling with his identity, trying to figure himself out. And I think to anyone struggling with theirs, and trying to discover their voice: Listen, we made a film about a gay man, an immigrant, who lived his life just unapologetically himself. The fact that I'm celebrating him and this story with you tonight is proof that we're longing for stories like this."
When he said, "we're longing for stories like this", I recognize he maybe wasn't talking directly about stories about wellness and mental health, but I heard more in what he said.  It got me thinking about my hopes for this little blog.  I have always wanted it to be a space for educators to share their voice, be heard, read and know that others are in the same boat - a place to share a story.

We all have stories of struggle, stories of overcoming, and wonderful stories of success.  I want to share those on BeWellEDU.com.  Educators are longing for them.  Rami may have been referring to different stories, but in this space, I think we long to know there are others who share an experience.

I would love for you to share on here.  Drop me an email!
charity@edtechteam.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathe

My daughter recently took part in a poetry workshop at school.  Once it was over, her assignment for class was to write a poem and then deliver it in a spoken word performance to her class.  If chosen, she would then compete against the other top poems from the other 5 classes in her grade.  What she wrote and performed was so intensely personal.  I was blown away by her courage to share, but more so by the profound words, technique and delivery of the poem itself (the English teacher in me!). She was extremely self-conscious about sharing with others in her school about her experience with anxiety, but I told her that she was likely helping others by sharing about what she has dealt with.  A friend of mine, who is a teacher at her school commented on how she impacted other students with her words.  My friend shared that at school she appears to be such a confident, composed and self-assured young lady, so in sharing her story and poetry, my friend overheard some students commenting

Take a Moment

February 27, 2010 my life changed.  I lost my dad to his battle with cancer, and he was only 52. My daughter Ava and my dad, summer 2009. Today is ten years since he died, and I have to say, it is a very tough day.  I didn't expect it to be so difficult, but I am struggling today.  Grief can consume, and it is a sneaky thing too, as you don't realize it's going to get you until it does.  I am constantly on the verge of tears, my every thought is consumed with memories of him - both good and sad ones.  How is it that TEN years has gone by so quickly? I was having a conversation with one of my Google Innovator mentees today, and he was saying how his life was so busy this past month and his Innovator project has somehow paused for a few weeks.  He was still motivated and enthusiastic about it, and best of all - he didn't feel any guilt about having hit the pause button.  My mentee's project is focussed around teacher self-care and wellness, and he recognized th

Guest Post by Nathan Gildart: Distance Learning: Strategies for Wellness

I’ll cut to the chase so-to-speak in this post. If your school has closed (or is poised to close) due to COVID-19 then you’ll want to keep a couple of things in mind: our students’ physical and emotional health. The activities below are aimed at fostering physical and social activity. At the end of this post, for those rainy days, see some apps that kids can have fun with while being creative, thoughtful, and should bring a smile! Do you have an idea? Please leave them in the Comments box. Before I continue: 1. Consider enrolling on one of these two free online courses: Designing for Online Learning  from the Global Online Academy Teach the Global Goals: Health and Well-Being . (a 2-hour self-paced program)  2. Look at these resources put together by a couple of people using crowdsourcing to help. (there is overlap): Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings Free Tools for Schools Dealing with Coronavirus Educator Temporary School Closure for Onl