Skip to main content

My Self-Care Strategies

Lately, the topic of wellness has been a prevalent one among myself and several of my colleagues and peers.  This world in which we live can deal us incredible highs, and what may sometimes seem like insurmountable lows.  With so many strings pulling at us each day and multiple stressors and factors that play a role in our lives daily - sometimes we just need help, and that is OKAY.

Recently, several people I know have been struggling to find their happy place, myself included.  I don't know if it is the weather here in western Canada (we have had a ton of snow fall recently, along with low temps), or if it seems like the perfect storm of personal and professional matters, but the question, "What do you do for self-care?" seems to have come up a lot lately.  I have been thinking about what I like to do for self-care, and what I could do more of in times when I am feeling like I could use a little more of it.  This is what I came up with:

1. Unpack your feelings.
Sometimes this isn't the easiest thing to do.  We don't always want to admit to ourselves that we are feeling a certain way, especially if that "way" is sad, mournful, unhappy or simply crappy.  If you have realized that you need to do this, however, you are already taking a step in the right direction, and unpacking your feelings will definitely help you.  Some people may prefer to make a list of all the feelings they are having, but what I like to do is sit with my spouse if he is available, or call my sister or mom and "unpack" how I am feeling.  It may sound like venting, but there is one difference.  Don't lay blame.  Be accountable and aware.  I will explain by saying, "I can't explain it, but I am just feeling this way...", or "When I hear this, I feel..." - however you phrase it, use emotions to convey how you are feeling and unpack everything either to a piece of paper, journal, blog or to your person who is listening.  Once you finish, you will find yourself perhaps feeling a little lighter, I do!

2. Find a song that speaks to you.
Music is the soundtrack to our lives - cliche, yes, but very true!  Whenever I am feeling down, most of the time I hear a song that speaks to me.  When I hear the words of a song and they resonate with me, I feel connected in some way.  I feel more connected to my feelings, but also deep down in my soul, I feel like I am starting to heal the way I feel.  If I am in my car, or at home, I crank that music AS LOUD AS I CAN, and I begin to sing AS LOUD AS I CAN, and I feel that song and the words of that song AS DEEPLY AS I CAN.  I do feel better after doing that - it is a great release.

3. Shut the door.
Ever have one of those days when you just want to shut the world out?  I do...but I know that I can't hole myself up and completely shut the world out.  I can for a bit, though.  Whether it be going up to my room and locking the bedroom door to just breathe in the safety and comfort of my bedroom on my bed, or shutting the doors of my office and "working" (I pretend so everyone leaves me alone sometimes!), it can be such a nice reprieve for the mind.  Shut your door once in a while and just BREATHE.

4. Count your blessings.
Finally, when I find my peace and solace, it is because I have remembered what is good in my life.  Some days it may just be as simple as the fact that I have a roof over my head, but most days I am able to be grateful for so many other things.  Gratitude is a mindset, and when we practice gratitude, our mind shifts and things get more positive.  Life doesn't seem so bad anymore.  Count your blessings, keep track in a journal if you desire, but I guarantee that the more you do this, the easier it will become to release the bad and enjoy the good.

Not everything works for everyone, and by no means am I an expert on wellness.  I do have strategies that I use, and will continue to use, to help me stay well and practice a little self-care.  Self-care is not selfish, and I will always believe it.  

Best of luck to you in your journey.
#BeWellEDU

~Charity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathe

My daughter recently took part in a poetry workshop at school.  Once it was over, her assignment for class was to write a poem and then deliver it in a spoken word performance to her class.  If chosen, she would then compete against the other top poems from the other 5 classes in her grade.  What she wrote and performed was so intensely personal.  I was blown away by her courage to share, but more so by the profound words, technique and delivery of the poem itself (the English teacher in me!). She was extremely self-conscious about sharing with others in her school about her experience with anxiety, but I told her that she was likely helping others by sharing about what she has dealt with.  A friend of mine, who is a teacher at her school commented on how she impacted other students with her words.  My friend shared that at school she appears to be such a confident, composed and self-assured young lady, so in sharing her story and poetry, my friend overheard some students commenting

Take a Moment

February 27, 2010 my life changed.  I lost my dad to his battle with cancer, and he was only 52. My daughter Ava and my dad, summer 2009. Today is ten years since he died, and I have to say, it is a very tough day.  I didn't expect it to be so difficult, but I am struggling today.  Grief can consume, and it is a sneaky thing too, as you don't realize it's going to get you until it does.  I am constantly on the verge of tears, my every thought is consumed with memories of him - both good and sad ones.  How is it that TEN years has gone by so quickly? I was having a conversation with one of my Google Innovator mentees today, and he was saying how his life was so busy this past month and his Innovator project has somehow paused for a few weeks.  He was still motivated and enthusiastic about it, and best of all - he didn't feel any guilt about having hit the pause button.  My mentee's project is focussed around teacher self-care and wellness, and he recognized th

Guest Post by Nathan Gildart: Distance Learning: Strategies for Wellness

I’ll cut to the chase so-to-speak in this post. If your school has closed (or is poised to close) due to COVID-19 then you’ll want to keep a couple of things in mind: our students’ physical and emotional health. The activities below are aimed at fostering physical and social activity. At the end of this post, for those rainy days, see some apps that kids can have fun with while being creative, thoughtful, and should bring a smile! Do you have an idea? Please leave them in the Comments box. Before I continue: 1. Consider enrolling on one of these two free online courses: Designing for Online Learning  from the Global Online Academy Teach the Global Goals: Health and Well-Being . (a 2-hour self-paced program)  2. Look at these resources put together by a couple of people using crowdsourcing to help. (there is overlap): Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings Free Tools for Schools Dealing with Coronavirus Educator Temporary School Closure for Onl