Skip to main content

Boundaries


Bitmoji Image
I have been thinking a lot about boundaries lately.  We set boundaries in many areas of our lives, but the boundaries I have been pondering are in relation to our professional lives.  What boundaries do we set for ourselves?  Particularly, what boundaries do we set in order to maintain a certain level of wellness in the midst of this chaos we call work and life? 

We hear a lot about self-care in order to achieve wellness.  It seems to be a big buzz word lately.  When I began my teaching career in 2002, I had the tremendous benefit of working with several people who were on the verge of retirement from teaching and they were more than generous with imparting their wisdom on me.  They taught me so many great lessons from classroom management, to lesson planning, to the myth of work-life balance.  What can we do to lead a better "balanced" life? 

I recently finished Brene Brown's DARE TO LEAD, and am currently reading GIRL, STOP APOLOGIZING by Rachel Hollis, and I have learned that work-life balance is a myth.  We are always going to be "out of balance"in one of those areas. Finding a solution is something that many educators find elusive as they start September with grand plans, but a few days or weeks in, they are buried in marking, extra-curriculars, and emails home regarding behaviour/tests/homework or whatever it may be.  Believe me, I have been there.  It seems to be a never ending quest to "figure it out".

A former colleague of mine, Meagan Kelly (@meagan_e_kelly) wrote a blog post on her blog, i-heart-edu.com about "bandwidth".  She defines personal bandwidth as, "the mental and emotional capacity to deal with a variety of situations, whether personal or work-related."  She goes on to talk about her experience with pregnancy, work and other work (including her blog) and how she manages it all.  We all carry so many responsibilities with us, and how we deal with it depends on our personal bandwidth.  I love this idea.  It isn't that some people have super powers, they simply have more of a personal bandwidth.

I would like to extend this idea a little further and propose that our personal bandwidth can be increased - call it a boost to our bandwidth - with a few boundaries.  When I was learning and soaking in all of the sage advice from my colleagues in my first year, I didn't realize it, but I was setting professional boundaries as a result that I would carry with me throughout my teaching career.  I put into place certain things that I would work on not compromising.  It was because of these certain boundaries that I was able to maintain a certain level of mental wellness throughout my career.  I have a great amount of personal bandwidth, but it would not be so large if it weren't for my professional boundaries I had set.

1. Work At Home
I decided early in my career that taking work home was something I wasn't going to do.  It's not that it NEVER happened - in certain cases it did.  I simply made it a priority to use my time at home in the evening spending time with my loved ones and with any luck, spending time on me.  Once you decide what your time is worth, you will see that the work and the kids' desire to see their grades can wait.  You will get to it, but setting this boundary will provide you so much relief and mental wellness which in turn will benefit your students!

2. Go To the Lunch Room
When I didn't have lunch supervision, I took my lunch down to the staff room and ate with my colleagues who also did the same.  I fondly remember many conversations, laughs, and plans that were made in the jovial atmosphere of "getting away" at lunch.  The day is long as a teacher and you deserve a break.  Allow yourself to go down and take that brain break.  You will go back to your classroom for the afternoon refreshed and ready to finish the day.  You will definitely thank yourself for this boundary!

3. Treat Yourself a Little
Every once in a while you need to treat yourself - you do a great job every day and you deserve it.  When I was in the classroom, my few good friends and I would escape during our lunch hour maybe once a month or so and run down to the local Starbucks for a "treat".  This little escape and the treat of a coffee/latte/tea was so huge to us.  We would laugh and tell stories the entire 5 minute car ride, and then savour every drop of our drinks.  I always found that those days that we did this, I was just that much happier throughout the afternoon.  Whether it is a coffee run, an after school pedicure or a massage in the evening - set this boundary and commit yourself to allowing it to happen.

4. Close Your Door After Hours
We have all been there - working after school and you have your classroom door open only to have every person who walks by pop in for a quick "hello" that turns into a 10, 15 or 30 minute chat.  When do you get your work done?  This is now starting to infringe on your first boundary of not taking work home!  Close your door.  It's okay!  The only way I found that I would get my work done so I could go home without the worry of it not being done was to close my door.  If you are an early riser, you may also choose to set this as a morning boundary before 8am.

5. Shut Email Down
In the last few years I worked at my previous school, we were welcome to imparting a time to stop looking at/answering/sending emails from work.  I loved this and set this boundary for myself.  What a difference this made for me!  At 6pm if any emails came in, I would not respond until the next morning.  I also got to the point where I wouldn't even look at my email - HOW LIBERATING!  I highly suggest this boundary for yourself.  You will find that it makes such a difference for your life.

These are a few of the boundaries that I set for myself in my professional life and these truly helped me to "figure it out".  I found that it helped me to maintain a level of mental wellness that only benefitted my students.  Self-care is not selfish, and when we are good, our students are better. 

Take care of yourself and #BeWellEDU.

~Charity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathe

My daughter recently took part in a poetry workshop at school.  Once it was over, her assignment for class was to write a poem and then deliver it in a spoken word performance to her class.  If chosen, she would then compete against the other top poems from the other 5 classes in her grade.  What she wrote and performed was so intensely personal.  I was blown away by her courage to share, but more so by the profound words, technique and delivery of the poem itself (the English teacher in me!). She was extremely self-conscious about sharing with others in her school about her experience with anxiety, but I told her that she was likely helping others by sharing about what she has dealt with.  A friend of mine, who is a teacher at her school commented on how she impacted other students with her words.  My friend shared that at school she appears to be such a confident, composed and self-assured young lady, so in sharing her story and poetry, my friend overheard some students commenting

Take a Moment

February 27, 2010 my life changed.  I lost my dad to his battle with cancer, and he was only 52. My daughter Ava and my dad, summer 2009. Today is ten years since he died, and I have to say, it is a very tough day.  I didn't expect it to be so difficult, but I am struggling today.  Grief can consume, and it is a sneaky thing too, as you don't realize it's going to get you until it does.  I am constantly on the verge of tears, my every thought is consumed with memories of him - both good and sad ones.  How is it that TEN years has gone by so quickly? I was having a conversation with one of my Google Innovator mentees today, and he was saying how his life was so busy this past month and his Innovator project has somehow paused for a few weeks.  He was still motivated and enthusiastic about it, and best of all - he didn't feel any guilt about having hit the pause button.  My mentee's project is focussed around teacher self-care and wellness, and he recognized th

Guest Post by Nathan Gildart: Distance Learning: Strategies for Wellness

I’ll cut to the chase so-to-speak in this post. If your school has closed (or is poised to close) due to COVID-19 then you’ll want to keep a couple of things in mind: our students’ physical and emotional health. The activities below are aimed at fostering physical and social activity. At the end of this post, for those rainy days, see some apps that kids can have fun with while being creative, thoughtful, and should bring a smile! Do you have an idea? Please leave them in the Comments box. Before I continue: 1. Consider enrolling on one of these two free online courses: Designing for Online Learning  from the Global Online Academy Teach the Global Goals: Health and Well-Being . (a 2-hour self-paced program)  2. Look at these resources put together by a couple of people using crowdsourcing to help. (there is overlap): Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings Free Tools for Schools Dealing with Coronavirus Educator Temporary School Closure for Onl